Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band 2019. Copyright LB Monteros
by Laura Berthold Monteros
The 20 marching bands from around the globe that will make the 5.5 mile trek in the 131st Rose Parade were announced by the Tournament of Roses today. The bands will also do field shows at one of the three Bandfest shows on Dec. 29 and 30, 2019 at Pasadena City College. In addition to these 20 units, the bands of the universities chosen to play in the Rose Bowl Game will march. The Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game take place on Jan. 1, 2020.
Four bands have a standing invitation to the Rose Parade: Los Angeles Unified School District All District High School Honor Band, Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band, United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band, and of course, Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band. The adjunct PCC Herald Trumpets announce the Royal Court float.
To be considered for the parade, there is a rigorous audition process, which includes musicianship, marching ability and entertainment or special interest value. Band representatives must submit detailed applications, which include photos, video footage and letters of recommendation. They also must be able to raise all necessary funds for travel and accommodations. Bands can apply for the 2021 Rose Parade on the Tournament of Roses website.
Tickets to Bandfest are available at Sharp Seating for $15 per show. Children under age 5 are free. Other than the Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band, which hosts the event, each unit performs in only one of the three shows. The order will be announced later in the year.
The marching bands performing in the 2020 Tournament of Roses Parade are
- Alhambra Unified School District Marching Band, Alhambra, Calif.
- Baldwinsville Marching Bees, Baldwinsville, N.Y.
- Banda El Salvador: Grande Como Su Gente, El Salvador
- Banda Municipal de Zarcero, Alajuela, Costa Rica
- Centro Escolar Niños Heroes De Chapultepec, Puebla, Mexico
- Centenaria Banda Colegial – University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
- Dobyns-Bennett High School, Kingsport, Tenn.
- Greendale High School Marching Band, Greendale, Wis.
- Helsingør Pigegarde, Hornbaek, Denmark
- Japan Honor Green Band, Kyoto, Japan
- Kamehameha Performing Arts Ensemble, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Los Angeles Unified School District All District Honor Band, Los Angeles, Calif.
- The PRIDE of Owasso, Owasso, Okla.
- The Pride of Pearland Marching Band, Pearland, Texas
- Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band, Pasadena, Calif.
- Rancho Verde Crimson Regiment, Moreno Valley, Calif.
- Southern University “Human Jukebox” Marching Band, Baton Rouge, La.
- Tournament of Roses Salvation Army Band, Pasadena, Calif.
- United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band, San Diego, Calif.
- West Harrison Hurricane Band, The Pride of South Mississippi, Gulfport, Miss.