by Laura Berthold Monteros
Tournament of Roses President Lance Tibbet announced the 20 marching bands that have been chosen to make the 5½ mile trek along the 129th Rose Parade route on Jan. 1, 2018. Besides the bands listed below, the two universities that play in the 104th Rose Bowl Game will appear. The theme for 2018 festivities is “Making a Difference,” something that music does every day for the young people who participate.
In addition to the parade, the bands will perform field shows at Bandfest, a two-day three-performance event that is a must-see for band geeks. Tickets are available at Sharp Seating for $15 per performance. Children under age 5 are free. Other than the Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band, each unit performs in only one show. The lineup will be announced later in the year.
Four bands have a standing invitation to the Rose Parade: Los Angeles Unified School District All District High School Honor Band, Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band, United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band, and PCC.
The rest have to pass a rigorous audition process, which includes musicianship, musicianship, marching ability and entertainment or special interest value. Band representatives must submit detailed applications, which included photos, video footage and letters of recommendation. They also have to be able to raise all necessary funds for travel and accommodations. Band applications for the 2019 Rose Parade will be available on the Tournament of Roses website in Spring, 2017.
Tournament of Roses Parade 2018 Marching Bands
- Air Academy High School – Air Academy High School Marching Band (USAF Academy, CO)
- Albertville High School – Albertville High School “Aggie” Band (Albertville, AL)
- Australia’s Marching Koalas(Dangar, New South Wales, Australia)
- Banda De Música Herberto López – Colegio José Daniel Crespo (Chitré, Herrera, Republic of Panamá)
- City of Burlington – Burlington Teen Tour Band (Burlington, Ontario, Canada)
- Homestead High School – Homestead High School Mighty Mustang Marching Band (Cupertino, CA)
- Kyoto Tachibana High School – Kyoto Tachibana High School Green Band (Kyoto, Japan)
- Los Angeles Unified School District – All District High School Honor Band (Los Angeles, CA)
- Lindbergh High School – Lindbergh “Spirit of St. Louis” Marching Band (St. Louis, MO)
- Londonderry High School – Londonderry High School Marching Band & Color Guard (Londonderry, NH)
- Louisburg High School – Louisburg High School Marching Wildcat Band (Louisburg, KS)
- Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band & Herald Trumpets (Pasadena, CA)
- Pennsbury High School – Pennsbury High School “Long Orange Line” Marching Band (Fairless Hills, PA)
- Ronald Reagan High School – Ronald Reagan High School Band (San Antonio, TX)
- Santiago High School – The BOSS (Bands of Santiago Sharks) (Corona, CA)
- The Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band (Los Angeles, CA)
- “The Commandant’s Own” The United States Marine Drum & Bugle Corps (Washington, DC)
- United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band – MCAS Miramar, MCRD San Diego and Camp Pendleton, CA
- University of Massachusetts – University of Massachusetts Minuteman Marching Band (Amherst, MA)
- Westlake High School – Westlake High School Marching Thunder (Saratoga Springs, UT)