The Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band was joined by a band from Angola for the 2018 Rose Parade
by Laura Berthold Monteros
The Tournament of Roses today announced the 20 marching bands that will traverse the length of the Rose Parade on Jan. 1, 2019. They will also perform at Bandfest, Dec. 29 and 30, 2018. In addition to these 20, the bands of the two universities that are chosen to participate in the 105th Rose Bowl Game will also march in the parade. The theme of the 130th Rose Parade is “The Melody of Life.” Of note for 2019 is Banda Escolar de Guayanilla Puerto Rico, which is overcoming odds to make it to Pasadena.
Four bands have a standing invitation to the Rose Parade: Los Angeles Unified School District All District High School Honor Band, Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band, United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band, and of course, Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band. The adjunct PCC Herald Trumpets announce the Royal Court float.
The rest have to pass a rigorous audition process, which includes musicianship, musicianship, marching ability and entertainment or special interest value. Band representatives must submit detailed applications, which include photos, video footage and letters of recommendation. They also have to be able to raise all necessary funds for travel and accommodations. Bands can apply for the 2020 Rose Parade on the Tournament of Roses website.
Bandfest is an opportunity to see the elaborate field shows put on by the organizations. Tickets are available at Sharp Seating for $15 per performance. Children under age 5 are free. Other than the Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band, each unit performs in only one of the three shows. The order will be announced later in the year.
The marching bands performing in the 2019 Tournament of Roses Parade are
- Alabama State University Mighty Marching Hornets, Montgomery, Ala.
- All-Izumo Honor Green Band, Izumo, Japan
- Banda Escolar de Guayanilla Puerto Rico, Guayanilla, Puerto Rico
- Banda Municipal de Acosta Acosta, San José, Costa Rica
- Calgary Stampede Showband Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Cavalcade of Bands Honor Band, Mid-Atlantic Region
- Florida A&M University, The Incomparable Marching “100,” Tallahassee, Fla.
- Flower Mound High School Band, Flower Mound, Texas
- Lincoln-Way Marching Band, Frankfort, Ill.
- Los Angeles Unified School District – All District High School Honor Band, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Mercer Island High School Marching Band, Mercer Island, Wash.
- Munford High School Band, Munford, Tenn.
- Na Koa Ali`I – Hawai`i All-State Marching Band, Kaneohe, Hawaii
- Pacific Crest Drum & Bugle Corps, Diamond Bar, Calif.
- Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band & Herald Trumpets, Pasadena, Calif.
- Pickerington Marching Band, Pickerington, Ohio
- Royal Swedish Cadet Band, Karlskrona, Sweden
- The Lassiter High School Marching Trojan Band, Marietta, Ga.
- The Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band, Long Beach, Calif.
- United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band, San Diego, Calif.