by Laura Berthold Monteros
We have often been told that the Rose Parade makes a difference in people’s lives, from the folks who take a trip to Pasadena to cross an item off their bucket list to the kids who march in the bands. It’s fitting, then that the theme President Lance Tibbet has chosen for the 129th Tournament of Roses Parade is “Making a Difference.” The parade will be held on Monday, Jan. 1, 2018. Here’s the information you need to get a place in a grandstand for yourself, and a place in a lot for your car.
We’ll be posting information on all the Tournament of Roses events and how to do them between now and December. Subscribe to TheRoseExaminer.com by filling in the box in the upper left to get email notifications.
The official grandstand seating provider for the Rose Parade is Sharp Seating Company. Sharp sells tickets in person, over the phone at (626) 795-4171, or online for the parade, parking, and other events. The sales office is located at 737 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena; enter from the rear parking lot off Meridith Ave. Grandstand seats and parking are also available beginning in the summer at Pasadena Presbyterian Church, on the northwest corner of Colorado Blvd. and Madison Ave., (626) 793-2191, ext. 353.
Prices at Sharp Seating range from $55 to $100, depending on the location on the route. Seats on the north and west, or “off-camera,” sides of the route are generally less expensive. Sharp now divides the Rose Parade route into five sections:
- Area One (between the start on S. Orange Grove and Colorado Blvd. at Fair Oaks), $90-$100. This is the prime location where media are stationed and within walking distance of the Rose Bowl. Please note that the $90 seats are along the formation area on Orange Grove. Some of the groups may not be performing in that section, but people seated in the grandstands will see all the entries.
- Area Two (on Colorado Blvd. between Fair Oaks and Lake Avenues), $70. Guests may also preorder a pancake breakfast for $8 from First United Methodist Church on the Sharp website.
- Area Three (on Colorado Blvd. between Lake and Hill Avenues), $60-$70
- Area Four (on Colorado Blvd. between Hill and Allen Avenues), $55-$70
- Area Five (on Colorado Blvd. between Allen Ave. and Sierra Madre Blvd.), $55-$70
Portable restrooms for Sharp patrons are located behind the grandstands. Pasadena Presbyterian offers indoor restrooms and a continental breakfast is included in the price. Rose Parade programs can be ordered in advance from Sharp Seating, the Pasadena Museum of History gift shop and the Tournament of Roses, or on parade day from Pasadena Presbyterian Church and vendors on the route. Various supermarkets and drugstores in the Pasadena and Altadena area also sell programs few weeks before the parade.
Both Sharp Seating and Pasadena Presbyterian Church sell reserved parking, as well as Easy Parking Service (626) 286-7576 and the City of Pasadena (626) 744-6470. Easy Parking Service provides free shuttles to the Rose Bowl from the parking lot. Overnight RV parking is also available. Closer to parade time, some merchants list parking on Craigslist.